Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I'm Sorry I Have to Show You Advertising

OK, well, not here on my blog, because the blog costs nothing (ok, well a few dollars a month in hosting, but whatever) to make, therefore, I don't have to show you advertising.

However, when it comes to making shows and episodes and creative content and websites and IPTV etc, all of that takes other people to help make happen. All of those people, and myself included, have to be able to make a living by making the stuff we like making, and hoping that you like watching the stuff.

Now, I'm totally open to suggestions on how to better pay my rent (and for the grips, gaffers, camera operators, writers, actors, etc, while you're at it) making entertainment or information narratives (documentaries, conversational video, etc.) - but so far we all keep saying that we want all creative content for free.

But I can't make decently produced stuff for free - and neither can you.

Which means someone has to pay for it. So far, the only people willing to pay for content are the advertisers and if that's the only way for us to offset or recover the (ever-falling) cost of content (which is still non-zero) then that's what we have to do.

Anyone else that has any different ideas about how to stay alive and stay in business without resorting to advertising, I'd love to hear from you.

But in the meantime, I'll offer an apology to all of you, all of us, and to myself - because even I'm sorry that I have to see advertising with my favorite tv shows or magazines, etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home