Friday, April 14, 2006

Doing it Right

I have waited, a long, long time to say this.

I Love My Job.

After my first two days at Endemol USA, I am excited, challenged and very impressed by the company, the people, the ideas & creativity, and the reality of the business.

My job, starting off as their Interactive Producer, encompasses a huge range of projects that run from mobile media packaging, delivery, branding and development, as it does production management, and budgeting.

There are some really innovative ideas being not just floated, but presented, collaborated on, and being turned into things that are very cool.

Here's what I mean when I say doing things right though.

Within my first 4 hours (HOURS) of my first day, I was presented with all the necessary HR paperwork (in a *very* well put together binder), along with restroom access keys, garage & building access cards, given directions for ordering office supplies, spec'd out the first edit system and had it ordered, had a phone extension assigned and voicemail box setup, and my email address was active.

Comparitively at CBS, after 4 MONTHS, I had no parking access badge, no access card, and stuff that had been ordered still hadn't even arrived, or if it had, it had been sent to the wrong place. It took 1 month to set up my first email address, 5 WEEKS to get a phone, 8 WEEKS to get office supplies (a pen, a pad of paper, anything).

At Endemol, a "welcome" email went out letting everyone know I was starting, and in what position and where I'd come from. On top of that, my direct boss spent close to an hour with me at the end of the day, actually walking me around and introducing me to everyone.

At CBS, there was no welcome email, no introductions, and when I left, no one was told I was leaving unless I had told them.

Totally different companies, and obviously, totally different priorities.

Also of interest to note is that it took a month of discussions with Endemol to get the job, and jumping through a number of (fair) hoops. Totally worth it.

By contrast, it took like, a day, to get the job at CBS.

The question is, which set of priorities results in a happier, healthier workplace, lower employee turnover (and therefore lower costs), and real innovation and follow through?

I think the answer is clear... and boy I Love My Job.

(One other note, I must give many thanks to my immediate boss at CBS, for all the things he did try to do, and for the excellent reference he provided, thank you sir.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home